Monday, November 10, 2008

The House at Sugar Beach, by Helene Cooper

I've been reading The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper.

Cooper is a journalist who worked for the Wall Street Journal and now the New York Times. This book is the story of her childhood in Liberia, growing up a part of Liberia's privileged Congo elite. Her family fled to the US after the war broke out, leaving behind her foster sister, whom Cooper recently returned to Liberia to find, leading to this memoir.

I now have Sis Hawah, two of her friends, and Muriel lined up to read it. (Thank you Janet Philips from Old First for sending me to Liberia with this book in hand!) Muriel is my newest Liberian friend... she works at the Royal Hotel where I come for comfort food, internet access, and solitude (surrounded by people).

I'm not finished reading yet, but have been enjoying and learning from this book. It is fascinating to put her images and stories in the context of my life here. If any of you are interested in a better understanding of Liberian history and culture, its a great place to start. (Lots of stars from KB)


You can read the first chapter on the NY Times website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment